Knit It Forward
Knit It Forward (formerly Community Service)
There is a wonderful charitable spirit in this group.
Our current projects include:
Preemie baby items for Northside Hospital: Knitting preemie hats, booties, and blankets for Grady Hospital and making preemie bibs, along with preemie hats and blankets for Northside Hospital of Atlanta. Click here for Preemie Patterns.
Stoma Covers for Grady Hospital: Knitting stoma covers for the tracheotomy patients at Grady Hospital in the Respiratory Care Unit. Click here for Stoma Cover Patterns.
Support to Atlanta Day Shelter for Women and Children:Collecting toiletries, Marta tokens, and baby items for the Atlanta Day Shelter. We hold an annual fundraiser benefiting the shelter. Learn More about the Atlanta Day Shelter
Trauma bears for The Georgia Center for Child Advocacy: Dressing teddy bears with knitted outfits, which the Georgia Center for Children gives to children who are in crisis situations. We have donated over 200 bears each year for the last 6 years. Click here for Bear Patterns. Learn More about the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy
Past Community Service Activities In the past we have also participated in many charities including the following:
- Knitting lap robes for Hospice patients.
- Knitting wool headbands for our troops in Bosnia.
- Taught knitting at the International Rescue League.
- Donated bulky yarns and knitting needles for the “Street Smart Kids” program.
- Knitting preemie items for St. Mary’s Hospital in Duluth, MN.
- Knitting afghan squares and assembling afghans for the Warm Up America! project sponsored by the Craft Yarn Council of America
- Knitting bandages for folks suffering from Hansen’s Disease.
- Knitting chemo caps for breast cancer patients at Northside Hospital of Atlanta.
- Coordinating the knitting of lap robes given to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Hughes Spalding. The ‘lapghans’ are knitted by blind people all over the country for the children at the hospital.
- Decorating a Christmas tree with hand knitted ornaments, topper and tree skirt for Atlanta’s Annual Festival of Trees benefiting Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. The guild has won 3 awards.
- Knitting scarves for the United States Armed Forces overseas.